FREE BUSINESS HEALTHCHECK:
Do you have a business that's fit to scale? Discover your score and how you stack up.
7 Fundamentals To Cut Out 80% Of Time Wasting Out Of Your Life
Posted by Nicky Coffin
[This is a direct transcription from the video please excuse any typing errors.]
Hi I’m Nicky Coffin and welcome back to our Recruitment Manager Training Tips.
If you are familiar with the 80/20 Pareto principle, you will be aware that as much as 80% of your time is generally wasted. In our day to day life as a recruiter that’s as much as 6 hours a day that is wasted on either low or zero return activities.
Richard Branson and Lord Alan Sugar all have the same 24 hours a day that we have, so how do they achieve such great results? One of the most important things I learnt in business is that time is more important than money. The reality is that you can always make more money but you can’t make more time.
Therefore it’s crucial that you use your time effectively and you become really conscious of where you focusing your efforts and spending your valuable time.
Here are 7 fundamentals that can drastically change the way you view and use your time:
1. Value time more importantly than money. Most people are fairly good at watching their money. They know what they are spending and what they are saving, but they can’t say the same about time. Most people are totally unconscious of how they spend their time and waste huge amounts of time on things that give them very little return. When you start to think of time being more valuable as money you naturally start to utilize it better.
2. Time spent is a decision. Many people make the excuse that their time is not their own. Their days are spent fielding one interruption after another or constant chasing up on people for information. While it may often feel as though others are demanding your time, ultimately that decision is up to you. If you refuse interruptions or structure your schedule to only deal with queries during certain time periods you will find your time wasting decreases.
3. Analyse your time. Do you even know what is taking up most of your time or do you just drift through each day hoping to accomplish something? The truth is that most of the time we aren’t very aware of how much time is spent on activities that don’t contribute to bringing in revenue. By doing a simple time check diary for a few days, making notes what you’ve spent your time on every 15-30 minutes, and then reviewing it after 3 days, you will be surprised how much time you waste. Just a simple awareness of this can help you become more productive.
4. Set time boundaries. Checking emails, social media and answering phone calls or staff queries can end up taking most of your day if you allow it to. Allocate specific times when your staff can consult with you and in between do not allow them to disturb you. The same applies to email. Don’t leave it open on your desktop. Instead set a reminder to check your email once an hour. That way you can focus on your work without distractions.
5. Time = Results focus. Being busy isn’t the same as being productive. If you want to waste less time then your time needs to be focused on those activities that will deliver results. Admin might be important but it isn’t where the money is. Clients on the other hand do hold the purse strings. Therefore, focus your efforts on tasks involving clients that will bring in revenue.
6. Time and team KPI’s. What is the one thing that can make a big difference to your revenue? In my business this was getting first interviews so for 12 months at least I made this the focus of KPI’s. I knew that for every 7 first interviews we’d get a placement so focusing our time on that KPI would deliver results and it did, netting us an extra million pounds revenue in that year.
7. Only work certainty. Once you’ve been in the industry for a while you will get a feel for what works and what doesn’t. Consultants often waste a lot of time working on dead-end jobs or candidates. They know it won’t go anywhere but somehow they feel they should work on it anyway. Stop working the dead end tasks and instead consistently focus your time on tasks that have promise of delivering revenue.
Remember that the results you get will be a direct reflection on where you focus your time. If you reduce the time you waste by just half you can be three times as productive. It’s your time, be wise how you use it.
That is our recruitment manager training tip for today and if you would like to know 9 specific strategies to enable your team to bill more then sign up to my new free training webinar – The 9 Keys To Get Your Team To Bill Multiple 6 Figures This Year And Beyond. I’ll be showing you the specific strategies and techniques to get increased performance fast and here’s our link to sign up.
I look forward to seeing you next time!
P.S. I go into the whole arena of motivating billing teams in our Billing Manager programme. We open for registration 3 times a year. If you want to find out more call our office on 0845 319 4848.