What Had Been Happening
Tom started the business having enjoyed 4 years of success at a specialist niche search firm in the house building industry; then the recession hit. While many recruiters may have considered walking away from recruitment at that time, Tom decided he would set up TDM from his kitchen table and grew the business to £330k within 3 years with a team of 4 Consultants; which during a recession is no mean feat.
At the time Tom regarded the business as a ‘lifestyle’ business which afforded him an enjoyable life with an ‘ok’ income. However, by 2013 things were not going so well for TDM Recruitment and it was around this time that Tom reconnected with Nicky Coffin whom he first met in 2010. By early 2014 TDM Recruitment almost folded due to the impact of one employee, to the point where Tom became ill due the to the stress of the situation.
Having speedily regained his health Tom decided to get the business back on its feet. In the late summer of 2014 Tom decided that if he was going to rebuild and grow the business, it could no longer be a lifestyle business and in fact he no longer wanted this. In the late summer of 2014, Tom started working with Nicky Coffin and Centredexcellence.
- Develop a leading built environment niched professional and corporate niched recruitment company
- Create a culture and company that Tom would want to work for
- Grow a business that was financially stable and avoided Yo-Yo billings
- Enable team to take over majority day to day billings so Tom could step away and focus on building the business
- Develop a professional rather than lifestyle business
Tom joined the Director Level Programme with Centred Excellence which involved a combination of workshops, group master minding with fellow recruitment directors, online learning and 1:1 coaching calls with Nicky. Tom implemented his learnings from each workshop which included some of the following:
- Moved away from working every job to adopting an approach where jobs were prioritised according to potential using the Centredexcellence system.
- Tom set up a trainee academy to recruit and grow the team around him.
- Two academy recruits took over responsibility for Toms billing assignments.
- A career development path was introduced for managers and those who desire to maintain a billing career path.
- Two managers have been internally appointed to support the team of consultants.
- A performance managements system has been introduced so all Consultants have
KPI’s, and are supported to achieve them with weekly and monthly reviews.
- Despite originally thinking coaching was ‘mumbo jumbo’, Tom embraced the idea of coaching and managing his team as individuals. He learnt to coach, empower and trust his team members.
- In 2013 the business turnover was £281k up from £237k in 2012. By the end of 2014 the business grew to £511k; 60% of those billing were Toms and the team at this point was Tom plus 4 Consultants.
- In 2015 Tom set a goal of £1m. After only 15 months of working with Nicky Coffin, the business grew to £935k and TDM now has 12 billers, this will increase to 16 by the end of May 2016.
- Tom has a support team in place comprising a PA and marketing manager.
- The company has undergone a major rebrand and launched an innovate new website, continuing to invest in marketing and public relations.
- A new contracting division has been set up including the recruitment of a Head of Contracting. This division has generated a £100k of fees on the board in 6 weeks.
- Two new divisions are the next priority.
- A fully developed 8-12-week training programme with accompanying manual. This means that new team members can be trained without the involvement of Tom. The team all know the milestones that new recruits are required to meet.
- As a result of its rapid growth, the company has taken over 3500 square feet of new office space to accommodate their planned continued growth.
- Nine months ago, 80% of Toms time was invested in billing. Today his sole focus is on running and developing the TDM Recruitment Group with two stars from the Academy having taken over all his billing responsibilities.
Tom Morris’s personal recommendation and comment:
“If you have a business that has yo yo billings and your team are not billing at the level you do and you are frustrated that the business isn’t growing how you want then I would recommend working with Centred Excellence.
You will have the business you want if you do what Nicky says. If you take on board what is right for you and your business, you will end up with the company that you want provided you go with an open mind.
Nicky is a genuine person and talks plain language which I like. She doesn’t tell you how to spend your money or what to do, but makes you consider the choices that you make and whether they are right for your business. At times Nicky was quite frank and sometimes disagreed and I appreciated her directness and being challenged. When you own your own business you aren’t used to people standing up to you.
Thе words ‘debt’ and ‘gratitude’ come to mind when I think about what Nicky has done for me and the TDM Group. She is one of the 5 most influential people in my life. Without a shadow of a doubt I would never be where we are now, I think I’d still be churning along as Tom’s merry band of men.”