Helping Mike to move from hands on biller to business builder through his team
MD – Codex
Mike graduated from university in 2010 and started his first recruitment job with Lawrence Harvey
enjoying rapid progress and success. In his first year Mike was the third top permanent biller and the second top biller in year 2. Mike had always aspired to have his own business and two and a half years into his career decided that now was the time to start his own recruitment company.
His original company Michael James search was set up in early 2013 with a friend and operated for 9 months, with eventually both partners deciding it wasn’t working how they wanted. Mike then left and set up Codex RG as it is known today.
At this point Mike was working in an office on his own, reliant on himself for motivation, billing
and managing everything that comes with running a business. Having previously only had to focus
on recruiting and billing, he soon realised he needed support if he was to succeed in building his business.
Mike had already had some exposure to online training for recruitment business owners
and was keen to explore what was available further.
Mike first met Nicky Coffin of Centred Excellence during his time at Lawrence Harvey when Nicky was involved in training managers within Lawrence Harvey and also provided coaching support to
the MD. Mike reconnected with Nicky through Centred Excellence’s marketing activities, where Nicky offered a Profit Accelerator complimentary call. Mike requested a call. As a direct result of this conversation, Mike decided to join the 750k Billing Blueprint Programme for independent recruiters.
The Outcome Mike Wanted:
- In the first 6 months of Codex being in business Mike billed £40k
- Overall turnover in 2014 was £100k
- In the first 9 months of working with Nicky, Mike billed £90k, a 50% increase on monthly billings.
- Given him clarity and decision making criteria and a methodology for making decisions
- Relocated to a shared new office in London in September 2014
- Up scaled the London office to accommodate new team members in March 2015
- Recruited 2 new consultants in September 2015
- Created an induction programme and trained the new consultants whilst maintaining his billings
- Recruited and on boarded a third team member in March 2016
- The turnover in 2015 grew to £200k
- Now planning to grow the business to 8-10 Consultants in 2016
Final Words from Mike About RockIT and Centred Excellence
I’d say that Nicky is an amazing mentor. She’s able to deep dive into your business in a very short period of time and be able to pick out the key drivers for your business and the areas where you need to change. There might be small changes, there might be large changes, but those changes that she encourages you to implement will have a dramatic impact on where your business goes and what it does.
I would also mention that she always makes time. Whether it’s with Facebook, whether it’s with a weekly call, or one on one, she’ll always make time for you. She hasn’t ever failed to help with any problem that I’ve come up with.