Helping Mike to move from hands on biller to business builder through his team
MD – Codex
Mike graduated from university in 2010 and started his first recruitment job with Lawrence Harvey
enjoying rapid progress and success. In his first year Mike was the third top permanent biller and the second top biller in year 2. Mike had always aspired to have his own business and two and a half years into his career decided that now was the time to start his own recruitment company.
His original company Michael James search was set up in early 2013 with a friend and operated for 9 months, with eventually both partners deciding it wasn’t working how they wanted. Mike then left and set up Codex RG as it is known today.
At this point Mike was working in an office on his own, reliant on himself for motivation, billing
and managing everything that comes with running a business. Having previously only had to focus
on recruiting and billing, he soon realised he needed support if he was to succeed in building his business.
Mike had already had some exposure to online training for recruitment business owners
and was keen to explore what was available further.
Mike first met Nicky Coffin of Centred Excellence during his time at Lawrence Harvey when Nicky was involved in training managers within Lawrence Harvey and also provided coaching support to
the MD. Mike reconnected with Nicky through Centred Excellence’s marketing activities, where Nicky offered a Profit Accelerator complimentary call. Mike requested a call. As a direct result of this conversation, Mike decided to join the 750k Billing Blueprint Programme for independent recruiters.
The 750k Billing Blueprint Programme led by Nicky involves a combination of monthly online training sessions, weekly group calls, 1:1 coaching calls with Nicky and twice a year the group come together for a 3-day retreat.
As a result of attending the programme Mike implemented the following:
- The starting point was to look at the market that Mike was operating in and where the focus should be to grow the business. Whilst that meant leaving some good clients behind in the existing market, it was a decision that had to be made.
- Mike took advantage of the weekly accountability which gave him a focus as he knew he would be creating a weekly report to feedback to the group and be asked to share successes on the weekly call.
- Reviewing the business has become a valued discipline. Having a deeper understanding of the figures in the business and the impact they are having or not on growth has been key and allowed Mike to make important decisions.
- Following on from reviewing investing time in planning including monthly, weekly and
daily plans has become a ritual.
- Introduced the Centered Excellence Blueprint and system for working jobs and engaging with clients and candidates
- Set up a career development pathway with promotional criteria.
- Now uses a specific methodology taught by Nicky to gain exclusivity with clients and
increased his fee structure to an average of 20%
During 2015 as Mike started to transition to managing a team, it became clear he would gain value from developing his own management skills. As Centred Excellence also lead the Become a Great Recruitment Manager Training Programme Mike was able to access additional training. As a result of this programme he has been able to develop his skills in:
- Giving motivational and developmental feedback
- Running weekly and monthly performance management conversations
The long term goal for Mike is to build a large, successful international business niched recruitment company. The key objectives were:
- To build the business and invest in relocating Codex from Bath to London
- Invest in hiring and training new consultants
- Building a company culture and team to drive business growth
- In the first 6 months of Codex being in business Mike billed £40k
- Overall turnover in 2014 was £100k
- In the first 9 months of working with Nicky, Mike billed £90k, a 50% increase on monthly billings.
- Given him clarity and decision making criteria and a methodology for making decisions
- Relocated to a shared new office in London in September 2014
- Up scaled the London office to accommodate new team members in March 2015
- Recruited 2 new consultants in September 2015
- Created an induction programme and trained the new consultants whilst maintaining his billings
- Recruited and on boarded a third team member in March 2016
- The turnover in 2015 grew to £200k
- Now planning to grow the business to 8-10 Consultants in 2016